Congrats, Melbourne, You are the first now!
It’s better to give than to receive! There is no need to adapt this expression only for humans. Nowadays buildings are also ready to give more!
Australian manufacturing company ArchiBlox has created first carbon- positive (!) house. Their whole aim is to build houses which perfectly can reduce carbon footprint. Moreover, they look hot and trendy.
“The one-bedroom prototype features edible garden walls, rooftop solar panels, a sunroom and rainwater recycling. It’s estimated that over its lifespan, the Archi+ Carbon Positive House will generate more energy than it took to build, and will offer the same environmental benefit as planting 6,095 native Australian trees.” – writes Science Alert.
Key Sustainable Features:
• In-ground Cool Tubes to help with cooling
• Sliding Edible Garden Walls to block sun penetration
• Green Roof for added thermal insulation
• The Buffer Zone “The lungs of the house” & “Food Basket” separates the external environment
• Healthy Materials High Grade sustainable materials and formaldehyde and VOC free
• Airtightness – Airtight building envelope improves sound protection and saves energy
• Hard wired data lines to reduce electromagnetic radiation
Images from http://www.archiblox.com.au/